After deciding against a masters degree at the last moment, I found myself on an unexpected creative gap year. I’ll be based in Boston again soon, with some travels planned.
At first I was going to take a year to write, but after a few weeks, I decided to put a spin on that plan.
So on top of that, [and figuring out what to do next year], I have A Project.
This is the Project:
In 2009 I joined 43things.com and made a sort of bucket list. I’ve been updating it sporadically. A few days ago, I decided that this year, I will do all 43 things.
I made minor updates to the list. First of all, I had completed some things [yay!], so I added new things.
I deleted things I no longer want to do, but never solely because it seemed unachievable. I modified some goals – I changed “climb Kilimanjaro” to “complete the Three Peaks Challenge” and “see the northern lights” to “stargaze properly” because the original goals cost megabucks, and aren’t as meaningful to me as the new ones.
Here are the 43 things I will do by July 2014:
1. read the complete works of William Shakespeare
2. watch all movies from Studio Ghibli
3. learn to drive
4. be featured or win a contest on a major fashion site
5. create a piece of artwork that I deem worthy of framing
6. transport all of the Zoombinis safely to Zoombiniville
7 . live on a farm with sheep
8. complete the Three Peaks Challenge
9. read Ulysses
10. host a salon night
11. start a literary dinners book club
12. tour Italy
13. learn photoshop
14. make my own dress
15. stargaze properly
16. record an EP
17. attend a singalonga or quotealong at the Prince Charles Cinema
18. knit a sweater
19. attend a Shakespearean acting workshop
20. complete the Codeacademy Web Fundamentals course
21. experience a 1:1 at Sleep No More
22. learn to make a week’s worth of dinners
23. participate in a juice fast
24. climb a 7a indoors
25. go on a yoga retreat
26. play with a penguin
27. learn to play the drums
28. make a plushie from scratch
29. create a Harry Potter filk music video and post it on YouTube and MyLeaky
30. complte Pottermore
31. see Lady Gaga in concert
32. finish Rosetta Stone for Korean
33. learn to play and sing to a song on the piano
34. write a book about minimalism
35. learn self defense
36. live in New York
37. become first aid certified
38. learn all the words to We Didn’t Start the Fire
39. go on a Chicks Climbing meet
40. learn the Single Ladies dance
41. become fluent in French
42. learn astrology
43. see Blue Man Group
I’ll be tracking my progress here and on my 43 Things Account. Why not sign up? List-making is fun, and just might prompt you to do those things one day. If you do sign up, let me know so I can subscribe to you!